Saturday, June 26, 2010

Preparing for Surgery

In order to have gastric band surgery, my doctors requires his patients to undergo an endoscopy, which sounds scary, however, it really was not that bad. I had to be at the hospital for 9am, which meant fighting rush hour traffic to get into the city, and then trying to find a place to park was stressful enough. Then the navigation through the hospital was not easy either. However, the nurses were quick to put my mind at ease, and really took great care of me. I remember being wheeled into the room where the procedure would take place, but no much after that. I do, though, remember watching the monitor, and seeing everything my doctor was seeing! Next thing I know, I was in the recovery area, and my mom was talking to me....piece of cake. Next up - surgery day!
I worked right up until the day before my surgery - and even though I was nervous, I was not worried about my surgery one bit. My co-workers were very supportive, and I did not keep this a secret (altho I do know several banders who tell only a select few). My whole life is an open book,and I have nothing to be ashamed of with this surgery. It is NOT an easy way out - it is NOT a magic wand. It IS a way for me to take back control of my life.
On the morning of October 19, I again made the drive into the city during rush hour. I parked in the same day surgery parking garage, and into the hospital I walked, with my mom and day by my side. I checked in, and was called back fairly quickly and assigned my pre-op room. Just one small issue - there was no bed in there yet! By the time I changed into my johnny, and provided my urine sample, a bed was brought into my cubby, although I still opted to sit in the chair....I was not ready to hop in the bed just yet.
My surgeon came in to see me shortly after that - and said he was running behind already, and even though my surgery was scheduled for 11am, I was probably not going to be back in the OR until closer to 1pm. OHHHHHH - the butterflies started to kick in. The nurse came back and told me that my family was not in the waiting area, but they would be allowed back once they returned. So, I sat and waited. and waited. and waited. Around 11, I again had the pleasure of seeing my surgeon, and he again said that he was running late, and that he would see me in about 2 hours. I asked the nurse if my parents had returned to the waiting area, and I have to say, I was a little disappointed in her bedside manner - she was the lone hold out at this lovely facility, and I think she liked how nervous I was. and the longer I sat there alone, the more nervous I became. When it was time for my IV, the nicest young man came in to introduce himself as the anesthesiologist, and he had not problem getting my IV in on the first try (even tho I am a big girl, I seem to have little veins!) Dave sat with me until it was time for me to head down the hall to the OR - and then was my escort as we navigated the hallways....and by that time, my heart was racing, and my nerves were almost to the point where I thought I was going to cry....I really wanted to reach out and grab hold of one of the doorways we passed by, just to ask for a quick minute to think this over again. However, Dave kept talking to me, and he really calmed me down.
Once in the OR, and scooting my ample self onto that tiny little table, the whole team came in and introduced themselves to me - do I remember any of their names, no, but I still think it was very nice that they took that moment to all say hello. I remember my surgeon coming in, and taking my hand, and telling me all was well, and that this was the moment my life changed for the better, and then the next thing I knew, I was in post op! X-rays were being taken to make sure my band was in place, I had the nicest nurse named Martha who was taking care of me, and the next thing I knew, my mom was sitting with me and my dad was in a chair at the end of the bed. My pain was pretty intense, but Martha made sure that I was comfortable in a matter of minutes. I know that time passed quickly there, and next thing you know, I was getting my IV out, and my clothes on - I was given the all clear, and I was headed for home!
The wheelchair ride out to the car was uneventful, and I remember my dad driving home in the pouring rain - and telling me that the hour ride was almost over....and then, I was home. Home Sweet Home.
I will bore you with my recovery another day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joanne! Thanks for the comment and I'm glad I found your blog!!! Let's get you some more followers...go join some blogs here and give them your address and I'll do a post for you soon! I want to hear what's happened since Oct.!! ((hugs)) Oh, and 'empty nest' scares me...you'll have to prepare me for that one...my youngest starts HS this fall, but I've got all three of them this summer.

    ReplyDelete